CALL FOR ARTISTS
Wagon Days Poster and Souvenir Art
Celebrating 60 Years
The city of Ketchum Arts Commission invites artists to submit up to 5 works of art for consideration for Wagon Days Poster and Souvenir Art and for display in the Art in City Hall exhibition in the Ketchum City Hall City Council meeting room. This year the commission has selected “Wagon Days” as its theme for Art in City Hall in celebration of the event’s 60th year.
Wagon Days began in 1958 and has become a weekend full of activities. The Big Hitch Parade is the centerpiece of the event. It is one of the largest non-motorized parades in the Pacific Northwest and features museum-quality wagons, buggies and stagecoaches. The grand finale of the parade is Ketchum’s own Big Hitch, the Lewis Ore Wagons. These large freight wagons are the most original, well-preserved and functioning wagons of their kind in existence, and are pulled by an authentic 20-mule jerk line.
Artists may submit artwork related to the parade, the ore wagons or the history of mining in the valley. Artist submissions for the Art in City Hall exhibition may also be considered for this year’s Wagon Days poster art. Artwork selected for the Wagon Days poster will be incorporated onto souvenir items such as commemorative mugs, pins, t-shirts, etc. Over the years, the posters have become treasured souvenirs of the annual Wagon Days Weekend and many have become collectors’ items. Posters and other items will be on display and offered for sale at Wagon Days Headquarters leading up to and during the Wagon Days Weekend over Labor Day.
If you would like your artwork to be considered for the Wagon Days poster and souvenir items, please follow specifications below.
A R T I S T E L I G I B I L I T Y
The call is open to all artists, regardless of their state of residence, race, gender, sexual orientation, religion, nationality or disability.
Artist should submit original, two-dimensional artwork meeting the specifications outlined below. There is no entry fee.
Artists chosen to exhibit their work will receive a $350 honorarium. The Art in City Hall exhibition will take place over six months, from May 15—November 15, 2017. Artwork displayed in City Hall gains significant visibility during the many meetings taking place there.
Artwork selected for the Wagon Days poster shall become the property of the city of Ketchum with all rights retained.
T I M E L I N E
• February 10, 2017 Call for Submissions
• April 7, 2017 Application Deadline
• April 14, 2017 Notice of Jurors’ Selections
• May 8—12, 2017 Receipt and Installation of Accepted Artwork by City of Ketchum
S P E C I F I C A T I O N S
Art in City Hall
• All artwork must be original and must be two-dimensional.
• Outside dimensions of framed work must not be smaller than 16 x 16 in. and must not exceed 60 x 60 in.
• All work must be framed and ready for wall hanging with D-ring hangers mounted to frame.
Wagon Days Poster Art
• Artwork must be original and two-dimensional.
• Outside dimensions of finished work must be 18 x 24 in.
• No framing necessary
S E L E C T I O N P R O C E S S
• Artwork will be selected by a jury consisting of Ketchum Arts Commissioners and Advisory Council members.
• Ketchum Arts Commission will recommend artwork for Wagon Days poster to the Wagon Days Committee for consideration and selection.
• Up to three artists will be selected for the exhibition and Wagon Days poster.
• Each artist will be asked to exhibit 1–5 artworks.
• Upon selection of artwork, the City of Ketchum will provide participating artists for Art in City Hall with a loan agreement covering the terms of the loan.
• Participating artists will complete and sign the loan agreement, and return a copy to the City.
• Each selected artist will receive a $350 honorarium.
A P P L I C A T I O N I N F O R M A T I O N
Artists making application should submit:
• Artist name and contact information.
• Artist statement indicating which artworks, if any, are being submitted for consideration for the 2017 Wagon Days poster.
• Up to five jpeg images of original works of art.
• A list of information about each work of art, including title, date, medium and framed dimensions.
• Incomplete applications will not be considered.
C O N T A C T A N D S U B M I T T A L I N F O R M A T I O N
• Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
• Mail: Sharon Arms, Arts and Events Coordinator
City of Ketchum, Parks and Recreation Department
P.O. Box 2315, Ketchum, ID 83340
• Hand Deliver: Ketchum Parks and Recreation Office
900 Third Ave. N. (Atkinson Park Recreation Building) Ketchum, ID